Greek Afternoon School Teacher
Since 1928, St. Demetrios Greek Afternoon School, located at 721 Rahway Avenue, Union, New Jersey, has been providing Excellence in Greek Education to several generations of children of Greek background, in a dedicated and professional environment following an effective learning curriculum.
We are seeking adults with enthusiasm for the Greek language, the Orthodox faith and Hellenic Culture. The ideal candidate delights in teaching children and is able to develop a nurturing rapport with students, a courteous relationship with parents, and a professional relationship with colleagues. Applicants must also possess the ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing. Strong organizational and time management skills are also expected.
- Competency in Greek and English
- Experience in Early Childhood/Elementary School Education or related field
These include, but are not limited to, providing a safe learning environment with effective classroom management that guides and encourages students to develop and fulfill their learning potential while ensuring their emotional, intellectual, spiritual and social growth.
All candidates will be expected to:
- Plan, prepare and deliver lesson plans and instructional materials that facilitate active learning and engage students in the educational process
- Prepare and lead classroom activities
- Manage classroom procedures and student behavior
- Maintain accurate records of student attendance and progress
- Collaborate with other teachers in supporting the curriculum and class activities
- Work as an active team member with the other School staff
- Promote the school programs in a positive manner
- Communicate effectively with parents
- Successfully pass background checks and complete required trainings
The ideal candidate will possess the following minimum qualifications:
- Undergraduate degree in Education with a minor in Modern Greek Studies or a Teacher’s Certificate from Greece
- A passion for working with children in a nurturing Orthodox Christian environment
- The ability to be flexible and work collaboratively with colleagues and families
- The skills and flexibility to be able to balance a variety of educational goals
Hours and Benefits
- 2 hours per week, per class, during the school year (9 months)
- Additional time commitment: Attend all Greek school holidays and events
- Salary starts at $250 per month, per class, based on experience
- Special consideration given if you have or want to have your children enrolled
All positions are for the 2023-24 school year, with the potential to be renewed annually. To apply, please email a copy of your resume to the Principal at email@example.com.