We seek a Choir Director who will lead our choir of 15-20 volunteer singers each Sunday and on special holidays (Holy Week, etc.) in singing the Divine Liturgy. In many ways, the hymns that the choirs sing during church services, particularly during the Divine Liturgy, have roots in Byzantine Chant. As the church became established through the Byzantine Empire, the music also evolved. Today, each church service incorporates both – chanting and choral music. Orthodox Christians understand that music is an expression of our beliefs. It also offers a way to communicate with God. As the ultimate form of worship, the entire congregation is called to sing right along with the chanters and choir. In this way, music enables the service to come alive.
This position reports jointly to the Priest (Father Paul Christy) and Holy Trinity’s Parish Council. A typical week is 10-15 hours with additional hours during Orthodox Easter and Christmas seasons, and the schedule is flexible outside of services and rehearsals.
For more information on Holy Trinity, visit: https://www.holytrinityraleigh.org/community/visitor-information.
- Direct the choir and organist for the following services and rehearsals:
- All Sunday liturgies between mid-August and Pentecost (dates vary by year)
- All choir rehearsals (most Sundays from 9-9:40 AM)
- 1-2 Presanctified Liturgies per year (or more as choir members are available)
- Holy Week services (Orthodox calendar)
- Christmas Eve, Christmas Pageant and Dress Rehearsal
- All choir retreats (2-5 per year, typically Saturday afternoons)
- Christmas Pageant Dress Rehearsal
- In consultation with, and approval of, the Parish Priest, in accordance with the standards of the Ecumenical Patriarchate, select the liturgical arrangements and the language (Greek or English) in which they are to be sung by the choir
- Communicate with the organist regarding repertoire and rehearsal schedule
- Discuss all special services (Holy Cross, Procession of the Icons, Kneeling Service of Pentecost, etc.) with priest and chanters in advance
- Coordinate with AV Broadcast team to advise on sound equipment, troubleshooting, copyright/broadcast rights, and recording needs
- Coordinate the Christmas Pageant script and music with priest, School Supervisor, and Children's Choir Director
- Support participation in the National Forum and Southeast Federation of Greek Orthodox Church Musicians, manage dues and other administrative duties associated with Forum and Federation membership
- Manage choral music library, liturgical folders, pageant folders, and special service folders; select and purchase new music
- Maintain roster and email listserv
- Maintain a small choir budget, robes, equipment, organ maintenance, and storage
- Provide occasional music for special events, such as funerals for former choir members
- Arrange for substitutes as needed, with assistance from organist as appropriate
Skills and Experience:
Ability and experience in leading a group of volunteer singers, Experience working with clergy, Some accompanying experience (not required), Finale or other music software (not required).
The anticipated pay for the position is $22,000 annually and this is a 10.5 month position.
How To Apply:
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.