This Youth Ministry position at Holy Trinity Orthodox Church is for a part time staff person responsible for the continued development and implementation of a comprehensive program designed to meet the needs of our youth and young adults.
The program will address the spiritual, educational, emotional, and social needs of young people being nurtured in the Orthodox Christian Faith. Our goal is to offer a sound religious oriented foundation for our children that promote the Christian values of worship, fellowship, service, and witness.
The Youth Ministry Pastoral Assistant will oversee a variety of youth, young adult, and family activities in the Parish.
Our existing Youth Ministry Team will remain in place. The new Team will comprise: our clergy, our church school coordinators, adult volunteer youth workers, teachers and youth group officers or representatives, as well as the Youth Coordinator all working together to plan and implement Youth Ministry in the parish.
Youth Minister Job Description
The youth minister will ideally be a well-trained professional, committed to Jesus Christ, the Holy Orthodox Church and to ministry with young people and their families. The youth minister will possess the administrative skills necessary to perform his or her duties and carry out details, as well as the interpersonal, relational skills for working with young people and adults within the parish.
The Pastoral Assistant helps lead our youth and young adult ministry as directed by the rector and our parish church school and youth leadership team.
The candidate will have a love for the work of the Gospel. They will need to have a healthy self-image, a can-do attitude, be flexible, resilient, have a sense of humor, be compassionate, love working with people and have good people skills.
Youth Ministry Leadership
Youth Activity and Program Coordination
Focusing on youth from ages 12 to 22 years, create meaningful engagement opportunities to foster long-term relationships
Plan, program and execute evening and weekend fellowships for youth and young adults
Develop a quarterly calendar of youth programs and events with youth ministry team members
Coordinate logistics for events, including set-up, supplies, speakers, etc.
Attend fellowship sessions whenever possible
Offer local service opportunities throughout the year to involve young people in ministering to others within and without the parish, such as visiting the elderly, shut-ins
Research and schedule special events such as conferences, seminars, retreats, lock-ins, trips, etc.
Coordinate external service projects such as OCMC mission team trips and Project Mexico
Provide support to EOYC
Work with the youth and education teams, including the church school and teen group steering committees, to coordinate youth ministry with the ministry of the total parish.
Locate and use valuable resources like youth workers magazines, periodicals, curricula relevant to youth ministry, as well as to attend deanery, regional and national youth worker seminars and the like, as well as to utilize information and resources as provided by the OCA Department of Youth.
Liaise with the Parish Council Youth Ministry contact
Develop effective publicity for youth activities through the church bulletin, youth newsletter, mailings, social media publicity, etc.
Build relationships with the parents of young people in the youth groups.
Youth and Volunteer Recruiting
Recruit lay people in the various volunteer ministries of working with young people in the parish. The volunteer ministries include church school teachers, assistants for special events, summer vacation church school teachers and EOYC counselors.
Work with the youth ministry team to identify and recruit potential volunteer youth workers.
Youth and Volunteer Training
Provide regular training sessions for teachers and volunteers
Have regular volunteer and teacher meetings for planning and programming.
Train young people and plan for special outreach to other teenagers within and without the parish, as well as from other Orthodox Communities.
Youth Ministry Development
Attend workshops (virtual and in-person) to stay informed on new and effective ways to implement youth ministry.
The Pastor and the Parish Council will supervise the work of the youth minister.
The youth minister will provide a regular written report to summarize his or her work to both the Pastor and the Parish Council on an agreed upon timeline.
The youth minister will communicate the plans and activities of the young people to the priests and the youth ministry team.
The youth minister will be evaluated annually by the church's Pastor and Parish Council.
- Gifted and called to youth ministry, loves young people, and has a passion for evangelism and outreach, both personally and at the ministry level.
- Preference given to those with prior leadership experience in a growing youth ministry.
- Preference given to those with formal theological training and Youth Ministry experience from an Orthodox perspective.
- Is an engaging teacher, with a strong biblical and theological background.
- Organized, prepared, punctual, proactive, self-starter with a positive attitude.
- Willing to become an engaged member of the Holy Trinity community.
- Thrives within a team environment; with the Priests, the Parish Council, and youth ministry team.
- Self-motivated and able to work without close supervision; flexible to changes in procedures and/or direction.
- Possesses qualities that foster and effective teen ministry; for example, has a sense of humor, energetic, and authentic.
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal and written communication skills
- Possesses strong computer skills and familiarity with social media tools and their use for ministering to youth.
- Lead staff efforts to maintain the youth ministry social media presence i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
- Has basic experience working with AV, multimedia, tech and presentation software.
- Required to complete Youth Protection training for all members of the community that interact with our youth and pass the background check.
- This position will be paid hourly. Expect an average of 10 hours per week. There will be certain times when more hours are required.
- Pay is $15 to $20 per hour based on experience
- These allowances will be paid
- Car allowance: $1,000
- Health insurance: $2,000
- Social Security allowance: $500.00
- Vacation time: 2 weeks per year
Apply to: email@example.com
Holy Trinity Orthodox Church
Posted on: March 31, 2022