Youth and Young Adult Ministries Director
The Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America is a religious not-for-profit organization. “The mission of the Archdiocese is to proclaim the Gospel of Christ, to teach and spread the Orthodox Christian Faith, to energize, cultivate, and guide the life of the Church in the United States of America according to the Orthodox Christian Faith and Tradition”. There are 9 “dioceses” with employees who are residents in multiple states
To direct and coordinate ministry work across the Archdiocese utilizing the vision and resources developed by the Department of Youth and Young Adult Ministries (Y2AM).
The following list represents the major tasks required of this position. The Chancellor may need to update these duties as new needs and situations arise.
Responsible for the execution of the vision developed by the Y2AM Committee of the Archdiocesan Council.
Support work which is consistent with the vision set by the Orthodox Youth Ministries (OYM) to the Agency of the Assembly of the Canonical Orthodox Bishops of the U.S.A.
- Answer phone calls, emails, and general questions relating to youth and young adult ministries from parish clergy, parish lay advisors, District/Metropolis Youth & Young Adult Ministry Directors, and others.
- Allocate the Department’s annual budget and ensure that spending remains on target.
- Prepare grant requests and progress reports as needed (especially for Leadership 100).
- Prepare monthly reports for the Chancellor summarizing the Y2AM Department’s combined work.
- Prepare reports for the Archdiocesan Council, as needed.
- Participate in regular meetings of the Y2AM Committee of the Archdiocesan Council.
- Prepare reports for the Clergy Laity Congress, as needed.
District/Metropolises of the Archdiocese:
- Lead regular meetings with District/Metropolis Youth & Young Adult Ministry Directors to supervise Metropolis work and maintain a common ministry direction across the Archdiocese.
- Lead regular meetings with Summer Camp Directors to supervise camping ministries and maintain a common ministry direction across the Archdiocese.
- Support all District/Metropolis Youth & Young Adult Ministry Directors in their ongoing support of parishes.
- Serve as the convener and coordinator of best practice knowledge sharing with District/Metropolises.
Youth & Young Adult Ministry:
- Lead the creation and development of resources by Y2AM (multimedia, curricula, retreats, etc.) and distribute to the District/Metropolis Youth & Young Adult Ministry Directors for their use and further distribution to parishes.
- Serve as a conduit to share resources developed by OYM that will benefit the District/Metropolis Youth & Young Adult Ministry Directors and parishes.
- Encourage Archdiocese clergy and laity to participate in retreats, events, and conferences hosted by Y2AM.
- Ensure that all youth and young adult ministry workers (both clergy and lay) complete any training programs developed by Y2AM.
- Lead the collection of data from Archdiocese parishes (surveys, focus groups, etc.) which will help shape the direction of future Y2AM resource creation.
Orthodox Christian Fellowship:
Support Archdiocesan clergy in their support of local OCF chapters, according to the chaplaincy requirements and expectations developed by OCF.
Regularly submit youth and young adult ministry news and features to the Orthodox Observer.
- Support Director of Youth Safety in maintaining compliance across the Archdiocese.
- Support the Director of Youth Safety in revising youth safety requirements, as needed.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications and skills:
- Experience working with Orthodox youth and young adults.
- Collaborative nature and dedication to building strong teams.
- Computer proficiency (Macintosh preferred).
- Excellent communication skills (both written and spoken).
- Professionalism, punctuality, strong organizational skills, and reliability.
- Attention to detail.
Masters of Divinity/Theology preferred.
Additional graduate-level degree in a relevant field preferred.
Interested candidates please send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
8 East 79th Street
New York, NY 10075
Posted on: August 09, 2022