The Nativity of the Theotokos (St. Mary) Antiochian Orthodox Church is located in Hunt Valley, Maryland and is a parish of the Diocese of Oakland, Charleston and the Mid-Atlantic within the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America. Our growing and young parish serves over 150 Orthodox families in the Baltimore metropolitan area. St. Mary’s was established in 1966 when it began by renting facilities for worship from other local Christian churches to serve its liturgies, until in 1989, when the parish built its first church hall in scenic Hunt Valley, Maryland. In 2015, a new, Byzantine style church was completed alongside the chapel of St. George. The church is a beautiful sanctuary adorned with Byzantine iconography and calls many people to stop in daily for visitation and prayer.
We are a dynamic and multicultural parish, welcoming families of mainly the Middle Eastern Christian diaspora, but home as well to other Orthodox heritages and cultures. The parish is blessed with many children and young adults. Our registered youth are approximately fifty-five individuals comprised of seventeen children in the second to fifth grades, twelve in middle school, eighteen in high school, and eight in the freshman year of college. We also have many infants and toddlers at any time. The growth prospects of St. Mary’s are substantial and we look to establish and enrich the youth ministry in hopes to root the new generation in Christ and to provide the church with the next hard-working generation in the future.
Saint Mary’s parish and ministries work within our mission statement that “St. Mary Orthodox Christian Church in Hunt Valley, MD worships one God in Trinity and spreads the Gospel of Jesus Christ to one another, to our neighbors and to the world. We accomplish this by manifesting God’s love through sacramental and liturgical life, education, hospitality, works of mercy, fellowship and love.”
To be a witness of Christ to the youth of our community by providing opportunities of worship, service, and fellowship. Commitment in working with and developing personal relationships with the youth of St. Mary’s, which include JOY, SOYO, and OCF youth groups. Continual formation of the youth to help them establish and sustain a life in Christ.
- An undergraduate college diploma is required.
- A committed and practicing Orthodox Christian that has the ability to teach and model the teachings of the Orthodox Christian faith.
- Experience working with youth at camps, retreats, Sunday school, etc.
- Takes initiative, acts with confidence, and works independently.
- Versatile, flexible, and willing to adapt to changing priorities.
- Portrays an extroverted personality and possesses strong communication skills.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Overseeing St. Mary’s Parish Youth Ministry groups: JOY(Grades 2-5), SOYO (Grades 6-12), OCF (College Ministry).
- Overseeing the ongoing implementation of the Archdiocesan Task Force for Youth and Young Adult Ministry’s curriculum for middle and high school ages.
- Expected to attend annual Orthodox Youth Worker Conferences sponsored by the Jurisdictional Youth Departments of the Assembly of Bishops.
- Designing, implementing, and evaluating a Youth Group Calendar of Events.
- Developing and implementing a Teen Bible Study Program.
- Completion of a youth census and program enrollment taken semiannually
- Maintain regular communication with the youth and their families through already established communication platforms such as the Sunday bulletin, email, parish website, the St. Mary Facebook page and other relevant communication methods.
- Create collaboration methods with the parents and families of the youth.
- Update youth sections of the parish website with articles, announcements, and photos.
- Recruit, train, and supervise advisors & leaders for each of our youth ministry groups.
- Assist with planning of regular activities for each youth group, including meetings, outings, retreats, service projects, and field trips.
- Coordinate Diocese and Archdiocese programs for parish youth including the Diocese SOYO Retreat, Bible Bowl, Oratorical Festival, Antiochian Village, Regional Teen SOYO meetings, etc.
- Attend parish council meetings when invited or needed.
- Regularly attend Liturgical services and other weekly services.
- Prepare for and present at the semiannual and annual General Assembly meetings.
Duration & Effort
- Minimum of two year full time position; expected to work approximately 40 hours per week.
- Flexible hours but should be in alignment with parish activities; Ad hoc time as needed on weekends.
- Total annual compensation of $40,000 plus benefits
All offers for employment with St. Mary’s Antiochian Orthodox Church are contingent upon the candidate having successfully completed a criminal background check. St. Mary’s will consider qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable local, state and Federal law.
To learn more and apply visit: https://www.nativityofthetheotokos.org/youth-director-application
St. Mary Antiochian Orthodox Church
909 Shawan Rd, Hunt Valley, MD 21030
Posted on: May 24, 2022