The Pastoral Assistant is a full time, professional ministry position under the direct supervision of the Presiding Priest and accountable to the Parish Council. This position has responsibilities to provide full support to assist the Proistamenos with day to day duties and the Mission Statement of the parish: “to proclaim the Good News of Salvation through the Orthodox Christian Faith for the glory of our Triune God - Father, Son and Holy Spirit” through our worship, fellowship, education, spiritual growth witness and service.
Contingent on the blessing of the Metropolitan, this position has the potential to grow into Ordained Ministry of the Diaconate and Priesthood.
The role of the Pastoral Assistant will be to provide assistance to the Proistamenos and the ministries of the Church by:
- Assisting with various administrative tasks as needed (Sexton, Sunday Weekly Bulletin, Ministry Communication, Ministry Organization and Leadership)
- Making occasional pastoral visits to shut-ins and the hospitalized
- Assisting in the leadership and oversight for Ministries, including but not limited to Youth Ministries and Young Adult Ministries
- Assisting in creating and supporting a church ministry culture that is intentionally inter-generational
- Assisting and supporting the Liturgical Life of the Church by chanting all worship services and sacraments especially during Holy Week, training new members to chant, read and serve to build upon their participation and knowledge of and proper liturgical order of the Divine Services
- Assisting in the Adult Catechism of new members
- Assisting in the Pre-Marital Seminars for those preparing for marriage
- Assisting in the scheduling and logistics of the Sacraments and rehearsals
- Other duties as assigned the Proistamenos
- Lead and Organize effective ministries by recruiting and training volunteers with diverse gifts and personalities under the direction of the Proistamenos
- Create fun and meaningful opportunities for all youth to connect and grow together
- Maintain contact with members, keeping them informed on ministry strategies and plans that encourages member partnership and involvement under the direction of the Proistamenos
- Foster cross collaboration between ministries and other area Orthodox Churches and outreach efforts under the direction of the Proistamenos
- Establish long term ministry and pastoral goals in collaboration with Proistamenos and Parish Council
- Formal theological training: preferred Graduate Seminary degree from an accredited Orthodox Theological School (M.A. or M.Div.)
- 1-5 years prior parish leadership experience
- Capable of maintaining professional confidentiality
- Is an engaging teacher, with a strong biblical and theological background, who is in agreement with the mission of the St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church
- Organized, prepared, punctual, proactive, self-starter with a positive attitude.
- Desire to serve the Parish of St. Demetrios and build relationships for long term development and possible ordination.
- Thrives within a team environment; with the Priest, the Parish Council, church staff, administrative team, and volunteers
- Self-motivated and able to work without close supervision; flexible to changes in procedures and/or direction
- Demonstrates a strong interpersonal and written communication skills
- Possesses strong computer skills & familiarity with social media tools and their use to maintain a ministry social media presence i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
- Compliance with the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese Youth Protection Policy: Bi-Annual National Criminal Background Check, Annual completion of the Youth Safety Training.
- Completion of the Effective Christian Ministries modules by the Greek Orthodox Archdioceses Youth and Young Adult Ministries
- Office space will be provided with access to phone & internet
- As appropriate, tasks can be done at home
- Must be able to deal with distractions that can occur (answering calls, assisting visitors)
Evaluation, Hours & Compensation
- Initial performance evaluation after first 180 days, conducted by Proistamenos that would include input from the Church Assistant, Parish Council members, and Youth Ministry leaders
- Annual evaluation to be performed by the Proistamenos with input from Church Assistant, and Parish Council
- Annual compensation review to be addressed by the Parish Council
- Hours 40 hours/week that are flexible
- more hours/week during period of intense ministry (e.g., Holy Week, Summer Camp)
- less hours/week during lighter periods (e.g. summer)
- This is a full-time, salaried position in accordance with standard employment practices.
- Salary Depending on qualifications
- Vacation – 2 weeks/year for the 1st 5 years, then increasing by 1 week for every 5 years served (up to 4 weeks)
St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church
2020 NW 21st St.
Fort Worth, TX 76164
Posted on: April 19, 2022