Marketing and Communications Manager
The Marketing and Communications Manager (MCM) builds and engages audiences for Cappella Romana by assisting in the creating and executing strategies designed to enhance patron experience, retention, and revenue. With a key focus on communications that prompt subscription and single ticket sales, and recording sales, the MCM also will collaborate on initiatives designed to increase other revenues, including related development activities and external opportunities (e.g. touring and media sales).
Working in partnership with the Executive Director (ED), the MCM will assist in the crafting of institutional marketing and communication strategies, informed by the music director as well as by external consultants and contractors currently working for the company. In due course the MCM may also collaborate with a marketing and communications committee made up of select board members and volunteers.
MCM will become familiar in this position with search and SEO, micro-websites, social media, retargeted ads, and emerging digital advertising technologies and methodologies. Cappella Romana highly values patron data. In FY18 it employed an integrated CRM, PatronManager (based on Salesforce), in order to manage development, marketing, and ticket sales for all patrons in one system.
- The MCM will be responsible for creating new copy and adjusting existing copy for all marketing and communication channels. The MCM must create copy which conveys historic and scholarly significance in a style which is engaging and impactful for the general audience.
- The MCM will carry out campaigns (designed in conjunction with the ED and external consultants) through a variety of marketing and communication channels:
- Traditional (direct mail, radio, print, etc)
- Emerging (new digital technologies, social media, and paid/unpaid search)
- Earned media (PR and pitched stories to local, national, and international media; collaborations; shared promotions; word-of-mouth campaigns, etc).
- The MCM will be charged with tracking and increasing the effectiveness of all marketing initiatives, as measured by increased sales of tickets, increased sales of recordings, and developing single ticket patrons into subscribers and donors.
- The MCM will take a hands-on approach to marketing collateral (ads, photographs, sound and video recordings, etc).
- Some evenings and weekends are required.
- Must be a creative and excellent writer with the ability to translate musical and historical knowledge into language designed for a general audience, to write copy within specific parameters, and to adapt to different style requirements.
- A motivated and proactive professional who can draw on the expertise and experience of a diverse team.
- Experience running successful social media campaigns and managing paid and unpaid search.
- Experience building rapport with a variety of media channels to consistently deliver earned media.
- Experience with CRM software and proficiency with data analytics and reporting for both tracking campaign effectiveness and adjusting future campaigns.
- Fluency in Microsoft Office suite and related applications.
- Bachelor’s degree plus a minimum of 5 years of related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience, especially in the non-profit arts sector.
- Familiarity with the Portland and Seattle performing arts markets is a plus.
- Desired: Familiarity with at least basic functions of Adobe Creative Suite (e.g. Photoshop and InDesign).
About Cappella Romana
Cappella Romana is the Northwest’s most prominent professional chamber choir, with the largest budget and activity of any peer ensemble in the region. It makes a unique contribution to the region’s (and the world’s) cultural ecology. Cappella Romana presents a highly specialized repertoire, music of the Eastern Orthodox traditions, that no other group explores.
Cappella Romana is dedicated to combining passion with scholarship in its exploration of the musical traditions of the Christian East and West, with emphasis on early and contemporary music. Founded in 1991, Cappella Romana’s name refers to the medieval Greek concept of the Roman oikoumene (inhabited world), which embraced Rome and Western Europe, as well as the Byzantine Empire of Constantinople (“New Rome”) and its Slavic commonwealth.
The company draws from a roster of independent artists forming a flexible ensemble from 10 to 26 singers, led both by Music Director and Founder Alexander Lingas and guest conductors, experts in their respective fields from all over the world. The company is signed with Naxos Distribution for its growing recording catalogue, whose 27 titles have won rave reviews in national and international press.
Its release “Lost Voices of Hagia Sophia” posted 44 weeks on the Classical Billboard Chart in 2020. The group’s 30th release “A Byzantine Emperor at King Henry’s Court” is slated for January 2022.
Cappella Romana just completed its 30th Annual Season, multiple recording sessions for future CD releases, and a recent tour to the Netherlands for the Utrecht Early Music Festival, the largest festival in the world dedicated to ancient music. The past year also featured a fundraising event “VOICES FOR UKRAINE” for Ukrainian refugees that raised over $50,000 for Mercy Corps. The current season features seven programs performed in both Seattle and Portland, with a matinée series in suburban Portland venues, four CD releases, and two international tours. Its regular venues in the Pacific Northwest have been Portland and Seattle’s principal Roman Catholic cathedrals, as well as other venues and concert halls in the region. Future plans include the launch of a new series in Boston, and growing touring programs.
Job Title: Marketing and Communications ManagerReports to: Executive Director Status: Full-time, exempt Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience, $60,000- Location: In-person, Portland, Oregon (not remote).
HOW TO APPLY:
Please write and send a letter of application that describes your interest in Cappella Romana, your qualifications for the position, and a few sentences describing of one of your highest musical experiences, along with a résumé.
Please send all materials in one PDF to email@example.com