The Chanter reports directly to the Pastor and is responsible for singing and preparing responses, hymns, and readings of all scheduled services and sacraments. The position works together with the Choir Director. Seeking part-time. Compensation is commensurate with experience.
Responsibilities and Essential Functions
- Prepare all readings for scheduled services.
- Sing responses at services as designated by the Pastor including, but not limited to Orthros, Divine Liturgy, sacraments, and other services as needed.
- Collaborate with the church leadership and staff for special services, sacraments, or occasions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Expert knowledge of Orthodox Christian services and byzantine chant required; proficiency in either byzantine or western notation required, both a plus; time management skills; ability to take direction and anticipate needs of the clergy; fluency in English a must; knowledge of Greek language a plus.
- Competencies: Well organized; on time; relentless attention to detail; ability to manage and prioritize routine tasks with little supervision; collaborative and cooperation with all others; flexible, productive, resourceful and committed to excellence.
- Education: High School Diploma or equivalent required. M.Div. preferred.
- Experience: Prior chanting and leadership experience with references required.
Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
Applicants must pass a background screen.
St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.