Communications Fellow—Spring/Summer 2020
Reports to: Telos Project Director
About the Telos Project
The Telos Project is a five year research and ministry design project on how Orthodox Christian young adults engage with Orthodox parishes. Telos conducts its research in partnership with a diverse group of 14 pilot parishes across the country, who participate in ministry research, design, reflection, educational webinars, and an annual learning conference.
The Office of Vocation and Ministry (OVM) and the Telos Project seeks a candidate for this paid position for spring and summer 2020. The OVM/Telos Project is a small, dynamic team dedicated to fulfilling its mission to train, educate, and inspire the next generation of leaders for the Orthodox Church. The Communications Fellow would serve as a critical part of the Telos program, ensuring the fascinating and fruitful work of our teams is reflected back to them in an encouraging and formative way and shared effectively with the wider Church.
Applicants should have experience in writing, timely and effective communications, cultivating relationships with stakeholders, and task management. He/she will gain front-row exposure to cutting-edge adaptive ministry design, implementation and education in the Orthodox Church. Through this position, the Communications Fellow will gain experience in creative and theologically informed storytelling.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Assist in the creation and curation of content for social media and promotional outlets, including (but not limited to):
- Connecting with Telos teams and young adults to listen to, collect pictures from, and then tell the stories of what is happening in and through their projects and lives, for the upbuilding of the Church
- Collecting stories of great ways young adults are doing ministry during the time of Coronavirus
- Outlets for storytelling to include:
- Social Media
- Telos e-newsletter
- Other relevant outlets
- Finding postable content for social media
- Create simple graphics for social media and website using Canva
- Draft a bi-monthly Telos newsletter for ministry stakeholders
- Help maintain and cultivate communications database/lists
Skills and attributes
- A deep appreciation of the transformative potential of storytelling
- Excellent writing skills
- Excellent organizational skills (including computer file organization)
- Proficiency in using social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter)
- Friendly and competent communication patterns, in person and over the phone/internet
- Sensitivity to the needs of different stakeholders—clergy, lay leadership, young adults—and a mature outlook on parish dynamics
- Ability to produce and manage task list
- Familiarity with and appreciation for the mission and vision of the OVM and Telos
- Attentiveness to and ability to deliver on deadlines
- A young adult excited about the transformative potential of creative young adult ministry and storytelling
- Writing, graphic design and editing experience
10 hours/week throughout the spring and summer of 2020, with a possibility of extension through academic year 2020–2021; $12–$20/hr, commensurate with experience.
Interested candidates should send their CV with cover letter to Telos Project Director Jenny Haddad Mosher at email@example.com.