IOCC Country Representative - Lebanon
- Reports to:
- HQ Regional Manager (Middle East)
- Beirut, Lebanon
The Country Representative has overall responsibility for leading and managing IOCC's programs in Lebanon, providing strategic and directional oversight of programs and operations. The Country Representative will actively seek opportunities for business development and representation among key networks in Lebanon and work closely with the regional team leadership to ensure the sustainability of the country program.
International Orthodox Christian Charities (IOCC) offers emergency relief and development programs to those in need worldwide, without discrimination, and strengthens the capacity of the Orthodox Church to so respond. IOCC was founded in 1992 as the primary humanitarian and relief development agency of the Assembly of Canonical Orthodox Bishops of the United States of America, representing a commitment to philanthropy and global cooperative involvement.
Through a variety of programming activities, IOCC’s global portfolio focuses on program services in eight core areas: (1) Agriculture and Food Security; (2) Emergency Response; (3) Education; (4) Health; (5) Water & Sanitation; (6) Economic Opportunities and Livelihoods; (7) Emotional & Spiritual Care; and, (8) Humanitarian Assistance.
In Lebanon, IOCC’s program delivers services throughout the country. IOCC’s key sectors of focus are: Health & Nutrition, Water-Sanitation-Hygiene (WASH), and Protection. IOCC chose to focus on these areas because of the intersection of our mission and the local context. The large number of refugees in Lebanon has strained the country’s infrastructure and basic public services. By pursuing these program areas, IOCC provides assistance to both refugees and local population, and helps to tackle the problems and to improve lives long term.
I. COUNTRY REPRESENTATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Act as the legal representative of IOCC in the country.
- Represent IOCC and interface with the host government, Church Functionaries, Local NGOs, UN, International NGOs, ACT Alliance members, key donors and existing and potential project partners.
- Maintain and nurture a strong relationship with the Orthodox Church and its representatives under the guidance of the HQ Supervisor.
Leadership and Management of the Country Program
- Provide leadership and oversight to all in-country programs and ensure successful implementation, program impact and institutional growth, including visits to project sites and project stakeholders.
- Drive field office behavior change towards organizational excellence across IOCC’s Country Program.
- Support IOCC staff in adopting a learning and development mindset, evidenced by tangible actions.
- Cultivate a diligent approach to risk management across all field office operations, ensuring that IOCC fully meets its obligations, including compliance and reporting requirements to donors and governments while supporting staff to take appropriate action in line with IOCC’s mission.
- Ensure a consistently high level of team performance; lead, mentor and model productive, collaborative intra and inter-departmental working relationships. Provide timely, quality support to teams.
- Develop high quality and timely Country Operation Plans ensuring that they apply best practices and are in line with IOCC strategy, global priorities and standards.
- In conjunction with HQ Regional Manager, coordinate with HQ Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Officer to oversee design and implementation of IOCC’s MEAL system, using appropriate forms, procedures and tools for data collection and analysis as the basis for measuring, documenting and reporting of project performance and outcomes. Coordinate all internal and external program evaluations with HQ MEAL Officer.
- In conjunction with HQ Regional Manager, coordinate with HQ Communications Department on developing all communication materials (internal and external), speaking engagements, branding commitments, digital/social/traditional media initiatives related to IOCC programs in-country, including advance coordination on media, website hosting and communications related activities in proposals.
- Ensure that lessons learned from results of program monitoring and evaluation are incorporated into the design and execution of program activities to meet stated objectives and needs of beneficiary population.
- In conjunction with HQ Director of Operations and HQ Regional Manager, develop a comprehensive country resource mobilization strategy identifying key partnership opportunities in the private, public and academic sectors that lead to improved resource availability supporting country program growth.
- Actively pursue funding opportunities with local and international donors, such as USG, European, Ecumenical partners, UN agencies, and International NGOs.
- Ensure that potential projects are identified and proposals are developed in accordance with the mission and goal of IOCC and in line with donor requirements.
- Grow IOCC's country program through developing high-quality project design(s) and proposals.
- Ensure strategic, operational and efficient use of all IOCC and donor assets (financial and physical).
- Exercise responsible oversight of budgets and grant portfolios and IOCC and donor assets, and lead efforts to improve the consistency and quality of financial and grant management, including reporting to HQ.
- Ensure compliance with all financial and administrative responsibilities as detailed out in the Field Finance and Procedures Manual (FFP), Field Operations and Administration Manual (FOAM) and Sub-Recipient Policy and Procedures with special attention to the following:
- Accurate and timely submissions of reports, requests and budgets
- Monitoring of budgets – annual and project
- Compliance with procedures and regulations
- Responsible for oversight and support of all IOCC staff in-country.
- Coordinate with HQ Director of Operation and HQ Regional Manager to ensure proper preparation of job descriptions (in line with global organizational standards), staff orientation and implementation of salary and benefit policies and procedures.
- Manage recruitment portfolio of local staff ensuring in-country policies and procedures are supported by appropriate legal advice and in compliance with local labor laws.
- Provide supervision, mentoring and training to local teams according to personnel management system.
- Be fully familiar with IOCC policies and procedures, and positively encourage staff to abide and comply.
- Lead the IOCC in-country performance management process including evaluating and supporting direct reports and ensuring all IOCC staff have completed periodic and annual performance management sessions with quality feedback.
- Ensure IOCC staff adhere to all IOCC and donor mandated safety and security regulations, policies and practices; ensure adherence to those regulations and take corrective actions as required.
- Engage with key country security apparatus (UN, Embassy, host government) ensuring regular monitoring of the security context of the country to manage and mitigate security risks.
- Regularly update and implement IOCC's security procedures and plans in coordination with HQ.
Lebanon - Country Specific
- Participate and proactively represent IOCC in the Lebanon Humanitarian INGO Forum (LHIF).
ESSENTIAL | Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong work ethic and commitment to supporting the IOCC Mission.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including ability to manage a diverse set of relationships in a multicultural environment.
- Candidate should have comprehensive managerial and supervisory skills, a clear knowledge of budgeting and financial procedures and the regulations of donor agencies.
- Ability to work productively and accurately in a fast-paced, challenging environment.
- Established capacity to deal with ambiguity in stressful situations.
- Ability to work under remote management.
- Ability to lead projects to completion on time, in compliance with donor requirements, within budget and with the anticipated results.
- Ability to respond to multiple priorities in a timely manner, producing high quality outcomes.
- Ability to facilitate project design development, including applying theories of change and project logic to design, and leading teams to develop work and management plans accordingly.
PREFERRED | Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledgeable about the political and economic developments in Lebanon and the region.
- Two years of multi sectorial humanitarian and international development knowledge and experience is preferred.
- Experience working with faith-based organizations is a plus.
- Professional language proficiency in English and in Arabic.
- Experience managing projects in the Middle East.
- Experience managing projects in Health and Nutrition, WASH, Protection, and Food Security.
- Graduate Degree in Political Science, Business, International Development or a related field.
- A combination of experience and graduate level education from an accredited education institution may be used to meet requirements for this position.
- Superior ability to work (read, speak and write) in English.
- Working proficiency to read, speak in Arabic preferred, but not required.
III. KEY RELATIONSHIPS
- Finance Manager in order to maintain compliance with budget requirements mid expense control.
- NGO counterparts to provide cooperative activities in project implementation with other organizations and to maximize the opportunities of project development.
- Donor staff to maintain positive relationship, facilitate adherence to project obligations, and set the stage for business development opportunities.
- Fellow IOCC Country Representatives in order to share knowledge and experience and coordinate on regional initiatives.
IV. PHYSICAL REQUIRMENTS
- The person in this position will need to safely traverse the office and project sites within the country with potential international travel as needed.
- This position occasionally works outdoors for extended periods of time.
- This position frequently works in an office and requires dexterity to operate general office equipment.
- The person in this position will frequently communicate with peers, managers, subordinates, and clients, and must be able to exchange accurate and timely information in these situations.
- This position occasionally works in all outdoor weather conditions.
- The responsibilities of this position may include physical activities such as standing, sitting, kneeling, bending, crawling and walking for extended periods of time.
V. WORKING ENVIRONMENT
- Travel within the country is required with potential international travel, as needed.
- The position requires an awareness at all times of local customs and security situations and conditions.
- Professional dress, behavior, speech, and conduct are required at all times in accordance with IOCC policies.
- This job operates in both an office environment and outdoors. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines.
- This role will frequently work at the field or project site. In doing so this position will occasionally work in all outdoor weather conditions.
- This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not proscribe or restrict additional tasks that may be assigned.